Wednesday 2 November 2016

Font October 2016



last week during the October school holidays I flew to France with some climbers from the TCA youth bouldering squad. Alan Cassidy and Stu Lyle were our coaches and Fiona Ross and David Moodie were the parent Helpers. We left on Saturday and flew to France, arriving by about 10 in the morning. As soon as we arrived we went to our cottage and put everything away, because we got there quite early we went straight to Elephant rock. We just done a lot of easy climbs and messed around, we didn't stay for long. Elephant rock was my favourite place as I enjoyed bouldering there.  There was a load of boulders, Elephant Rock is situated in a forest and I was surprised at how big the forest was.. it was massive with loads of boulders to try. 

 When we got back we all had a big game of just seeing how long we can keep the volleyball in the air for. We counted the amount of touches we made and the record was about 26 or something like that. Once we were all back inside we lit a fire in the fireplace with some wood we collected when we were at elephant. We all sat downstairs talking about famous climbs and what we wanted to try and I just was going to do a lot of the easier ones so I could say I climbed a lot as it was my first time there. By the time we had all discussed the dinner was ready. We had already had a McDonalds for lunch, so we had made a little drop of pasta with some tomato sauce and a side of vegetables. There was peppers and tomatoes and other vegetables. We all went to bed reasonably early because it was a long day and we had an early rise in the morning. We had a separate cottage for boys and girls, we had dinner and done everything in the boys cottage so at night all the girls ran back to ours. We all had showers, checked our phones and went to bed.
Sunday, We woke up at about 8 and got ready and went round to the boys cottage where we got our breakfast. I had some bran flakes, an apple and a banana. Then we went climbing again...
 We climbed outdoors and done easy stuff most days except from on Wednesday where it was really wet and horrible weather. I mainly climbed grade 5 and a 6B and I was surprised how hard these felt. I tried a few 7a as well, although never quite managed them. 





We climbed at the indoor climbing gym Karma. Some of us did take harnesses and there was routes but we all decided to go round and try some boulders. Before we done anything though we went in the wee cafe type thing and ate our lunch, while we were there, the French team coach came in and we all said hello. After lunch we got our shoes and chalk bags on and had a walk around the centre, it was bigger than I expected it to be. We all went round in little groups and warming up by doing some easy climbs, and I tried some of the harder ones. Then before we finished we tried some easy ones again as a cool down. We only climbed indoors for about an hour and a half because the weather got better and some of the boulders had started drying off. We all went to a small climbing place where some of the rock was wet, but luckily most of it was dry or drying off at least. We all tried this circuit thing. You had to climb up the boulder, down the other side and then the aim was to not touch the ground or any sand, you have to jump on the rocks to avoid the ground. The more climbs you done the higher you got. There was 61 to do, but everyone stopped for a break. We got to about 20 or something like that. Me and a few others had sore skin so we headed back and played volleyball, the others that didn't come done the circuit again. once everyone was back down we had a massive game of volleyball which lasted forever. 










My favourite part of the week was seeing and feeling I had improved in both my performance and confidence. My favourite boulder was a boulder called "Big Jim" grade ?, I never got it in the end and must have tried it at least 20 times. I hope to go back to Font one day and get the tick in the box for this boulder. 


This was a great experience and I really enjoyed going with the group. Unfortunately my French did not improve and Stu had to order me my McDonalds. Being back at TCA Glasgow I don't feel as scared on the boulders there now, as they now seem quite small compared to the boulders in Font.

Thanks for reading

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment